Students in this course will focus on basic communication skills essential for working with clients of various ages and health care professionals. Content includes interpersonal communications and group dynamics. Students will practice communication and group dynamics. Students will practice communication skills with individuals, within groups, and through electronic media.
Emphasis is also on basic communication skills, which facilitate teamwork in the health care setting. Focus on development of personal communication skills and understanding of how effective communication skills promote teamwork
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Describe and demonstrate use of self in a therapeutic health professional-patient relationship.
- Identify elements, techniques and appropriate therapeutic uses of communication.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills.
- Describe the process of communication and its various components
- Distinguish among various types of communication situations (intrapersonal, interpersonal, group, and public)
- Explain the role communication plays in personal and professional relationships
- Display appropriate communication skills depending on various interpersonal situa
- Define the basic elements and roles involved ingroup communication.
- Explain ways in which conflict can be managed and identify strategies for resolving conflict
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Determine appropriate communication skills needed for working with individuals, co-workers, and work groups.
- Discuss personal views on communication theory and practice with related references.
- Evaluate own need for professional development related to communication competencies.
- Apply knowledge from general education courses to the understanding of communication problems.
- Discuss factors that affect communication needs/issues in various situations (individual, group, technology).
- Incorporate selected literature related to the topic chosen for group teaching projects.
- Critically examine the relationship of communication skills to health care practice.
- Clarify personal, cultural, and gender beliefs and values to determine how the variables influence communication issues with health care providers and with patients.
- Discuss the impact of culture and gender differences on communication and group functioning.
- Discuss importance of advocacy role in facilitating access to healthcare.
- Identify how personal beliefs and values influence communication.
- Practice professional and therapeutic communication skills with individuals and groups.
- Apply information gathered through the use of information technology.
- Utilize therapeutic communication skills with individuals and groups.
- Share information and ideas with student peers and faculty.
- Collaborate with peers ingroup activities.
Teaching strategies include but are not limited to large and small group discussions, role-playing, scenarios, oral and written exercises, papers, and oral reports.
Unit 1: the process of communication and its various components
Unit 2: elements, techniques and appropriate therapeutic uses of communication
Unit 3: types of communication (intrapersonal, interpersonal, group, and public
Unit 4: factors that affect communication needs/issues in various situations
Unit 5: Role of health professionals in therapeutic communications, with client, groups and community